Tuesday, October 30, 2012

When it comes to writing words about David, they either have already been written or if you know him, no words can describe him. He is the best.

When we, the CCMA, heard about the medical difficulties our friend and fellow member, David, was having, we as a group knew we had to help. We discussed many ideas at our monthly about how to raise money. One of the ideas we knew we could start right away was to use those silicone wristbands that are so popular as part of a major fundraiser. The wristbands are purple in color as this is David's business color as well as inscribed "DO Magic For David Oliver" The DO is also his initials.

As you can see, we have a "DONATE" button set up through Paypal. You do not have to have a Paypal account to use this donation button. You may use most any credit or debit card. We ask your donation be a minimum of $5. For your donation and as our (CCMA) way of saying thank you, we will send you one of the "DO Magic For David Oliver" wristbands. If you want more than one wristband, we would be happy to send one for each $5 you donated. Example: if you made a $20 donation and want 4 wristbands or if you made a $20 and only want one or two, we will accommodate you. Please let us know how many wristbands you want as you use the Paypal donation link. (there is this link under your donation line "Add special instructions to recipient" Click to open this comment box and let us know if you want more than one wristband).

The paypal donation will be sent to Dan Sclare. He is president of CCMA and a very good friend of David. Dan will then send money directly to David.

If you don't already know, the short version of David's situation is that he is suffering from Hypersensitive Pneumonitis, a rare lung disease he contracted from working with his doves for 30 years. No matter how careful he was cleaning and caring for them, his lungs became damaged. He's on oxygen 24/7, and several medications. After three minor surgeries to diagnose and treat it, David is now in need of having both of his lungs transplanted.  To read about David and his illness, in his own words, please refer to Genii Magazine (August 2011) and to read about his career as a magician read his Wikipedia page

Please bookmark this page and feel free to post this URL on Twitter, Facebook, all other social media sites and your email communications with other magicians and friends.

The Central Connecticut Magicians Association and the many magicians that already generously donated, wish to THANK YOU for your generousity and caring in helping not only a fellow magician, but one of the nicest and most respected persons you would ever want to meet.

David has posted a comment below. Please make sure you read it.

7 comments:

  1. My friends and family in the CCMA continue to humble me with their generosity and concern. They have gone above and beyond to make sure that I am taken care of.

    I like to consider myself as one who tries to be the helpER when others are down. Unfortunately, for the first time in my life, I have become a helpEE. It's a very uncomfortable place to be in life. Everyone in the CCMA has stepped up, and helped to make a difference in my life. I will be forever grateful. Their kind words above make me smile and at the same time humble me. For those in the S.A.M., I wrote a thank you letter describing their help, as well as to those who supported me at the convention in Vegas, in the Nov issue of M-U-M. However, I will say it again, thank you all!

    I've also already received a few emails and FB messages asking me if I know about this site, and if these guys are legitimate. I can assure you that they are MORE than legit. And as uncomfortable as I am at accepting help, they certainly have my blessing for their efforts and for organizing this site. It has and will continue to make a huge impact on my life.

    Because of declining health issues stemming from the HP lung disease, I've not been able to perform since May, after devoting my life to performing for the last 35 years. The mind is still here, but the body doesn't work so well. So, the help that these guys have organized is more than greatly appreciated. I don't know how else to say it...

    Thank you in advance to one and all!

    With warmest regards -

    - David Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Steve, Jim Spinnato and a host of others who are rallying
    magicians at this time. David Oliver is a fantastic magician, magic mentor and human being. Most of my interaction comes via my daughter's involvement with the SYM a few years back. David was such a wonderful teacher, coach and role model for young magicians. He mentioned a difficult interaction he had when, as a boy, an older magician had ridiculed one of his first attempts at performing magic. Instead of giving up on magic and magicians David not only became a great magician but has become such a wonderful mentor to ensure that no child interested in magic ever again suffers such negativity and harsh behavior from an established magician. He has made so much magic happen, for his audiences and for the young magicians he has constantly supported, it is fitting that we send
    some of that good magic back to him.

    Even though I already have two David Oliver wrist bands I just made a donation via the link and asked for a few arm bands. I will offer them to members of our local magicians' group, hoping to spread the word, the solidarity and cover some of this additional cost. If I don't get any takers I will be happy to have done the right thing by a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I donated, but need no wristbands. I thank you for setting this up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just donated. Best of luck with this, David! I know you are in the thoughts and prayers of the magic community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donated - no wrist band needed. I pray for your healing and blessings. You deserve so much support as you have supported so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please confirm that you received my donation. Thanks. I don't need a wrist band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DO Magic For David Oliver. http://domagic4davidoliver.blogspot.com/ The word is getting out and donations are coming in! We have gotten donations from all across America, Canada and today from Australia and Switzerland. There are very caring and generous people out there! Keep spreading the word! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete